21 November 2007

reflections on Thanksgiving

Well, the cold rain has set in today....forecast is indicating the temperature will take a tumble and turn to snow, just in time for Thanksgiving. The warm fall that hung around so long left the colorful leaves in the trees until just this week when it seemed they all fell at once. Our town beat the rush and hung the Christmas decorations while the weather was a little more agreeable, and just in time for the town Christmas tree lighting the day after Thanksgiving. The grocery store is abuzz today, mothers-mostly grandmothers-going through their long lists of necessities for the big day, and, all of a sudden people just seem a little more.......reflective.

My best Thanksgiving memories stem from going to my grandparents home, in a woods on the edge of town. After my grandfather died, my grandma left the five generation farm and remarried a person of great Hoosier note who had built for himself a lodge of heavy barn timbers and an immense stone fireplace nestled among a grove of giant beech trees. I remember driving down the long winding gravel lane that led to the lodge, into the grove of beeches and it seems with always just a dusting of snow on the ground. We'd walk though the door and be met by a roaring, crackling fire and the smell of hickory smoke that permeated the old timbers. And the turkey, mmm, and sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. I add cranberry sauce to my pie for a little zing.

You know, our family never really fought at Thanksgiving, not that I can remember anyway. Seems like that's just more of a sacred day-a thankful day-thankful for family, a warm home, plenty of food. Thankful maybe that your crazy uncle seemed a little more subdued this year. Or that your mom didn't start to pick at what your plans were for the rest of the weekend while home from college. Thankful that you managed to skirt that one dreaded question-"so, when are you going to settle down, raise a family?"

Well I have now. And I love this holiday probably more than any. You don't have to cram in singing songs, opening gifts, or running to three other events. No, you just sit.....and talk....and eat. And maybe go for a walk in the woods. We have an important tradition in our family that dates back-well, all of about 10 years. We pass an ear of Indian corn around the dinner table and each person plucks a kernel off and drops it in a jar while telling the one thing they are most thankful for that year. One year, my wife and I used it as an opportunity to announce we were expecting-that was hard to top by anyone else at the table. I'm not sure about this year. Maybe, maybe just be thankful that God's been good, again, and that this has been my best year yet.

Hold those close to your heart near to you tomorrow. Give thanks for the people God has placed in your life and remember the abundance that we have in this country.....and those without.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...