11 April 2009

Blueberry Hank, RIP

A sad, sad tale from River City. One of our most beloved icons.....a guy who I aspired to be.....met an untimely demise last week. My speculation is that Mr. Hank was out for a jog in the early morning hours, down main street, when approaching the viaduct was struck and splattered across the street with goo staining the sidewalk and light poles along the way.

Mr. Hank had an interesting life. He wore big floppy shoes and always had a giant smile sewed on his fat face. He greeted children during a weekend-long festival named in his honor. He will be sorely missed.

Hank's blue-goo innards had the street crews busy nearly all morning with detours and clean-up. Given that goo slowly runs downhill, the storm sewer department was put on notice to provide protection from the blue-ooze running into the storm sewer under the viaduct, possibly contaminating the Yellow River......although I suppose with the addition of blue, the river would have been green?

The only other possible explanation, although Hank nor his giant shoes have been seen since the accident, is that an enormous vat of blueberry filling fell from a garbage truck after leaving one of our food processing plants in river city. I choose to think it's Hank, much more sobering.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took a while but I figured this out!!! Our local German Fruit Processor sells out of date product to a dairy farmer in the Rochester Area who in turn trucks it to his dairy farm to make strawberry and blueberry milk (hehe) That must be how "Blueberry Hank" ended up in the street smooshed!!! Just think of the international drama....Blueberries from South America shipped to River City to be processed by a German firm and the by product ends up in the street in front of your house you are so worldly!!!

Ishmael said...

I frequently run south Michigan in the early morning hours....will keep an eye out for him.

HR, you can STILL be that guy!

hoosier reborn said...

It at least smelled good, much better than the deer carcass from last year.

Ish-I think they need me more than ever now...I'm making my own Hank outfit.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...