03 April 2009

the Whitehouse burger joint

There's a little diner on Highway 25 that has captured my imagination since the first time I drove through Logansport decades ago. It's pretty unassuming and looks untouched since the day it opened. A few years ago while doing a project downtown I talked the kid who was working with me into getting a cup of coffee at "the Whitehouse".

Then yesterday, I was in the city again on business and had to find a lunch spot. So I told my hired help to prepare himself for a treat....we would be eating at the Whitehouse. We walked into this little piece of Americana and again, I was smitten.

A long counter stretches across the building from left to right upon entering. Two or three booths are to each side of you. The stools at the booth had worn edges on the pine fronted counter and a black linoleum face covered the front of the bar. The booths each had a table mounted juke box, as did a few of the counter seats.

The grille, cooler, freezer, fryer, coffee machine, pop machine...all were in a line behind the counter. The grill was manned by an old guy named Lester-clearly a fixture himself. Parker-my hired help-and I took one of the booths which had a sign saying "for parties of 2 or more". The waitress-appearing to be in her 50's and wearing a leopard print jacket, came to our table in a very nonchalant manor and asked what we wanted to drink.

Coffee. It came in a mug that appeared to be nearly as old as she was. This place was packed with nostalgia. Old pictures of famous and ordinary people lined the walls. A coffee cup collection was on the back wall-I assume the cups of regulars. As the booth behind us talked to the waitress-who was owner, and I think daughter of the cook-about the trouble with fast food and McDonalds I had a big 'ol grin stretching from ear to ear.

This place was great.

As I scanned the menu with prices from the 70's....I was devastated to find no bacon cheeseburger. But there was the Whitehouse Burger. I asked what it was.....it was a bacon cheeseburger. Awesome. Parker and I both had the Whitehouse burgers and fries.


The place looked about original as could be expected, having been constructed in 1941. You diner nuts and Americana fans out there.....this is one place you have GOT to stop. I've already made plans to take the family there for breakfast some Saturday and this time, I'm buying the t-shirt. If you do stop by, tell the waitress Hoosier Reborn sent you.....if she looks puzzled, say it was the guy who ordered a root beer float at the suggestion of the booth behind them one warm April day-the guy who was basking in the essence of everything still good about America.

3 comments:

vanilla said...

Thank you for the tip; I am into 40s and 50s nostalgia [I am an old guy]. I shall have to make a run over to Logansport soon after our return to Indiana [coupla weeks yet].

I left you a little recognition on my blog today.

hoosier reborn said...

Thanks Vanilla. FYI-I think Whitehouse is only open until 2pm!

So, how do I bestow the friendly blogger award to my pals?

Anonymous said...

2pm? No dang wonder it's usually closed when I come through.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...