03 April 2009

Sycamore Row

Coming back from Indianapolis a few weeks ago on the Historic Michigan Road, I took the opportunity to stop and walk Sycamore Row. Now, those of you who have never ventured up Highway 421/29 north of the Circle City probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Many years ago the State of Indiana was within a few felled logs of removing one of the more unusual throwbacks to the old Michigan Road days when folks in Carroll County got up in arms over this possible loss of history. The state acquiesced and bypassed an old section of road south of Deer Creek on Highway 29. This section had become known as "Sycamore Row".

In areas of heavy wetlands or swamps trees were felled and their logs used to create "corduroy roads" as the logs were placed side by side. Do you remember this from Indiana history? Such was the case south of Deer Creek. The builders of the Michigan Road used Sycamore trees in constructing this section of road. The thing about Sycamores is that they can stay green for a long period of time after being cut and can take root, particularly if submerged in saturated earth. The felled trees sprouted at each side of the road and grew a stately row of Sycamores. This section of road was completed in about 1834, but may have had multiple layers of logs overlaying the originals decades after.



This little stretch of abandoned road provides a pleasant walk, even with motorists speeding by on the new alignment of Highway 29 a few rods away. While certainly photographic without leaves, the dappling sun beneath the broad leaves of those Sycamores in the summer must be just as pleasant. Of course, I have long held the belief that Indiana's state tree should be the Sycamore.

And maybe this post is apropos, given I had another meeting on the creation of the Michigan Road as an historic border to border byway today-this time hosted at the Old Republic in New Carlise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am told this was in use through the early 1980s, and that the pavement stretched all the way across, touching the tree trunks on both sides. An iron or steel truss bridge crossed Deer Creek. Two oncoming cars could pass on this stretch, but if you encountered a semi, somebody had to back up.

Anonymous said...

hey maybe we could get that entire stretch, trees and all, moved to the curves on 17 by the Hospital here in river city it would be a major improvement to the mess that Mitch's INDOT has left us with!

Anonymous said...

It was a Steel Truss bridge. I used to drive this way when the old bridge and alignment was in and can attest that you could pass by a semi, but boy it was close! I am suprised you still can't see the double yellow line down the middle of the road today. I sure hate that they tore out the old bridge though, such a waste of history.

Dana said...

I grew up about two miles west of here. I remember a couple of people getting killed in here.... was very close in some spots. I had to take a 2670 Case 4 wheel drive tractor and seven bottom plow through here. What a nightmare, always made it though. I am glad they saved it for history though, very nice.

hoosier reborn said...

Dana,

I've heard horror stories about exactly what you've mentioned...school busses passing semis was unnerving for folks. I'm glad they saved it too.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...