03 September 2009

bat update

The day after the bat incident, the boy came down with a fever. Fearing the worse I contacted the doctor who said....well, we should probably start him on rabies shots....unless, of course, you have the bat.

And of course, I did have the bat. So he said to contact the local health department to send it in for testing. I called the health department and they asked if I had kept the bat on ice.

On ice? No. I kept it in my barn. For future reference, if you kill a bat, put it on ice...something about the brain matter decomposing quickly and an inability to test it.

I sent the bat with my wife, in a bucket of ice, to the health department. We got a call yesterday that the bat came back rabies free. Thank God....because I think we all would have had to start taking shots. Oddly enough, our neighbors had a bat in their house last evening.....during the chase he said "that's HR's bat"....to which she said "no, he killed his!"

I've been blamed for a lot of things in my life.....but never planting a bat in someone's house.

2 comments:

vanilla said...

Glad you're all rabies-free, and hope you stay bat-free.

(fyi, this post isn't nearly so funny as the stories about chasing the bats.)

Anonymous said...

Good grief, I'm glad you escaped the fate of rabies shots.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...