12 February 2009

Happy 200th

Abraham Lincoln is probably the most dynamic, recognizable figure from America's past and today we celebrate his 200th birthday......and since he was a Hoosier for a period of time, I thought I would commemorate the saviour of the democracy.

In fulfilling my New Year's resolutions, I have been reading book after book and have just in the last few days began an interesting perspective on Lincoln "Abraham Lincoln-A Man of Faith and Courage". I'm not far into the book, but am already impressed by how he met the sheer misery and overwhelming opposition found thrust upon his administration immediately upon taking the oath. No doubt, it was his tenacity and strength that carried the nation through its most violent and divisive struggle. And by his martyrdom became something other than just a national leader, but a legend towering over all others who came before or after.

One of my favorite quotes by Lincoln is this "If there is anything that links the human with the divine, it is the courage to stand by a principle when everybody else rejects it."

He often had the ability to speak to issues of the present by pointing to the future, creating a picture for us to understand our actions today have profound affects upon our children's tomorrows. Only if we today could understand this.

My work in Angola led me to this inscription by Lincoln on their Soldiers Memorial we all recognize from his infamous Gettysburg address:



“IT IS RATHER FOR US, THAT WE HERE HIGHLY RESOLVE THAT
THESE DEAD SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN. THAT THIS
NATION UNDER GOD SHALL HAVE A NEW BIRTH OF FREEDOM.
AND THAT GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE AND
FOR THE PEOPLE SHALL NOT PERISH FROM THE EARTH.”





"of the people and for the people" I believe we desperately need a new birth of freedom in this country. Thank you President Lincoln, for the courage to hold us together.....for not giving up, but giving everything that was precious to you.

3 comments:

Ishmael said...

Thx for this stirring reminder that we are indeed standing on the shoulders of giants.

vanilla said...

Thanks. After posting a commemoration to Lincoln on my own blog, my blogcrawl showed that other right-thinkers had also devoted space to this Great One.

[question, tho': what is the "infamous" about?]

hoosier reborn said...

my bad....should have left off the "in". welcome back to Indiana.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...