20 February 2009

Great Backyard Bird Count 09

A somewhat lackluster weekend was host to the Great Backyard Bird Count this year. While we hung out at the house most of the weekend, we did journey to my folks to round out our list.

Snow Depth: Less than 2 in (5.1 cm)

Habitat(s): deciduous woods agricultural urban

Number of Species: 21

Checklist: Canada Goose - 13 Red-tailed Hawk - 3 Mourning Dove - 1 Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1 Downy Woodpecker - 4 Hairy Woodpecker - 2 Northern Flicker - 1 Blue Jay - 1 American Crow - 2 Black-capped Chickadee - 1 Tufted Titmouse - 3 White-breasted Nuthatch - 2 Eastern Bluebird - 3 European Starling - 1 American Tree Sparrow - 1 White-crowned Sparrow - 1 Snow Bunting - 2 Northern Cardinal - 3 House Finch - 6 American Goldfinch - 2 House Sparrow - 4


As I'm typing I'm listening to yet another snow storm warning for this weekend. I think I'm done with winter....and that's huge news coming from a guy who normally is the last one holding out for a snow storm into March. Was it the winter, or is it my age?

Maybe it was the 68 degree temps last Tuesday.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...