16 March 2009

life at what point?


Last week it was announced that President Obama would lift the ban on embryonic stem cell research. I let out a long sigh. The sanctity of life issue is really pretty complex. Most people want to believe it is not by simply saying this, or abortion, is murder. Well, it is. But unless we’re willing to engage in further discussion on the topic as a nation, we are never going to make right the wrongs. We will only become more entrenched on each side.

The embryonic debate made me dig a little deeper in this issue. Stem cells can be harvested from embryos 4-5 days after the egg is fertilized. The “harvesting” occurs from embryos that would otherwise be discarded by fertility clinics. I searched a little on line to understand the arguments on both sides. I should also say much of what impacted me came from a Catholic site. I do believe we have cheapened life to the extent that we do not understand the actual miracle of life being created. Abortion ends life…. so does the destruction of embryos…. so does war….. so does violence in our streets….. as does starvation…. homelessness….. the list goes on. Research indicates that embryonic development to human tissue actually can save or extend life.

The question becomes then, is destruction of life justified? We believe it is in war. So, why not in the destruction of embryos? Hey, Christian Republicans out there….. I’m asking you the question! I probably find it most eye-rolling that when Republicans are confronted with the financial and policy failures of our own party, left with little defense against bad Obama policy, we immediately insert the abortion issue as defining our righteous cause. It seems that we forget our Christian ethics when arguing policy until we’re backed into a corner and need to justify our cause.

I think what begins to infuriate me in the abortion, and now embryonic stem cell debate, is the hypocrisy that is found in the church, and in the GOP. Churches like to get their congregations into a fervor over petitions and picket lines against abortion. It’s easy to do, takes very little time, and hey, who wouldn’t be against murder? But if the church really had an interest in ending the cause of abortion, with an army of compassionate Christ-followers, it would have ended some time ago without the Supreme Court lifting a finger to overturn Roe-v-Wade. If Christians would be more concerned about mentoring young men and women, in healing and strengthening families, or being there for kids with just one parent at home, and less about signing petitions or being self-righteous and judgmental, I believe the abortion issue would be behind us.

Am I against embryonic stem cell research? I am. I am afraid that it further erodes respect for life. At which point do we begin to harvest organs or make judgment calls on life that seems of “no value”?

I believe there is a deeply spiritual context to life, outside of science & biology. I believe just as God created Adam, the creation of any human is a miracle. I believe that a spirit & soul is breathed into man to be able to communicate with God. I have to believe that this happens at conception. I also understand, from reading the Old Testament, that a man’s life giving force is also considered sacred and not to be lost or wasted. This adds additional reverence to our humanness, as we come to understand being made “in God’s image”.

I want abortion to end, just as I also want our general irreverence to life to end. But unlike the average Christian in America, I want to ask President Obama what I can do to reverse the trend of abortions in America. I don’t want to yell and scream about murder…..I really want to stop it before it ever comes to that.

Don’t think that I am soft on this issue. I have a much deeper understanding of what it means to lose a tiny life than what most people do; a much deeper appreciation of the hurt than what most petition signers ever will, when I saw my little one who would never be called by name.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You! HR, you have captured my feelings in this post. Birdman

Ishmael said...

A very thoughtful piece. Paul told us to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling". I feel that notion applies here.

Luke said...

Abortion is such a terrible issue. For some they fight against it just by signing a petition, and not trying to create new life for those in despair and hopeless. My wife, a NICU nurse turned full-time mom, has personally cared for and helped deliver 23 week old twins that some would have aborted. After seeing their pic on my fridge I cannot see abortion the same.

-Side note- I hope that you are being mildly productive while the rest of the family is in Florida.

hoosier reborn said...

Ish-never thought about that verse with respect to this issue, but it is encouraging. Thank you.

Luke-is it any wonder that some states want to require ultrasounds prior to permitting abortions?

btw-mostly productive. Does watching encouraging movies count? Stuff like 300, Never back down, etc?

Luke said...

Our ultrasound was pretty amazing to see, and I bet it would be for others too.

300- yes.
Never Back Down- As an avid MMA fan/elitist, I cannot condone that one. If you are going to watch MMA do it the right way and spend hours watching old fights on Youtube while you should be working.

hoosier reborn said...

LOL Luke!
This will be the 6/7th time watching 300. Better yet with MMA, I should get some buddies together and have our own MMA beat down, then put it on youtube.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...