07 March 2020

Dueling Druggists of Downtown Argos

Moore's Drug Store ad in the Argos Reflector November 23, 1893
This is the story of Dr. Clark Chapman and Col. William Moore, both of whom operated small drugstores in Argos in the late 1800s.  Clark Chapman received his medical degree from LaPorte Medical College during the 1840s-1850s.  The New York State native settled with his father's family in Argos in about 1850.  William Moore, who enlisted from Illinois during the Civil War, achieved the rank of colonel before being wounded, captured, and placed in a Confederate prison.  Moore moved to Argos after the war to form a partnership in a lumber mill with his brother.

Col. William Moore wearing the ring he carved on his left hand
It was said of Dr. Chapman that he rode horseback from his country home to tend the sick, with his medical bag thrown over the saddle, and an elixir that had been patented under his name.  Chapman, in partnership with his brother, opened a drugstore in Argos by the 1870s.  Colonel Moore found mill work too strenuous due to the wounds he sustained during the war.  A similar issue grew out of farming.  He settled on opening a drugstore in Argos during the 1880s.  Moore had a talent for carving and furniture-building.  He fashioned a ring from a horse's leg bone during his time in military prison.  He crafted inlaid lead into a pattern in the ring and wore it until his death.

Dr. Clark Chapman, tin type, c. 1855
The dueling druggists, who also offered a wide variety of drygoods in the small village of Argos, no doubt were in competition for the same patrons.  But small towns being as they are, found Clark's son, Henry, and William's daughter, Lucy, desperately in love not unlike Romeo and Juliet.  The couple married in 1887 and established a homestead and farm next to the doctor's north of town.  They were my great, great grandparents.

Chapman's Pharmacy ad in the Argos Reflector December 14, 1882
I have Henry Chapman's rocking chair.  The museum has the ring carved by Colonel Moore in their collection-they let me wear it during my wedding.  I wish I had Dr. Chapman's medical bag.  I was told that old family members remembered seeing it but they were unsure what happened to it.  Dr. Chapman died in 1898 and Colonel Moore died in 1893.  The Clark and Henry Chapman families are buried at Maple Grove Cemetery east of town, while the original pioneer, Ezekiel Chapman is buried at the old town cemetery along with William Moore and his wife.  I had the privilege of speaking at the dedication of a monument to the town's pioneers at the cemetery a few years ago.  As I ran my fingers across my ancestors' names inscribed on the stone, that stands in lieu of removed markers, I couldn't help but wonder what life was like for them 150 years ago.

Purchase list from Moore's store-this is likely a settlement with family members since two of his children are listed on it, including my great, great grandmother, Lucy Moore Chapman.  Check out those prices.


No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...