12 February 2013

Perpetual Clearing?


It is hard to believe that it's been 5 years ago this month since I wrote about my experience in a cabin at Whitewater State Park.  I couldn't have appreciated how much that time away for a "spiritual retreat" would come to mean to me.  I walked away from that cabin with the understanding that God had brought me into The Clearing. ...a time in my life before which, and after which, all hell had broken loose.

There are times when I'd like to go back to the cabin.....back to the clearing.  But I know that's not where life is at right now.  And I realize, had it not been for the short clearing I had found myself in, spiritually I don't know that I could have survived such a significant test of my faith at my church, or when I launched out on my own only six months later.....which would have come as a surprise even to that guy held up in the cabin.

In some negative ways now I feel like I am in a perpetual clearing.........or maybe I'm just not seeing any path to continue on.  Don't get me wrong, life is good....and life is certainly quiet, but I feel like I've slumped into some kind of retirement out here on the Hill.  And I don't like that feeling.  I am busy, I am productive, and I feel like I'm giving back.....but somethin' sure is a missin'.  Patience has never been my strong suit.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...