30 December 2010

Out with the Old-In with the New


This post is dedicated to Aunt Pat.

OK-I have no idea who actually reads this blog anymore....but I have had a few complaints in the last several weeks due to my lack of blogging. It's not that I don't have some posts rattling around in my head-there is plenty of fodder out there. It's just that I feel so completely uninspired.

So when I mentioned that to Aunt Pat on Christmas Eve, she said to allow her to be my inspiration. So here goes it....

2010 was a bummer of a year for me. I make no bones about it. I'm not sure what led to that, or why it felt so pronounced, but this lack of inspiration has come from an absolute loss of passion...about much of anything. I feel like I'm living in paradise here on the Hill, but there's this overwhelming feeling of disillusionment that I just can't shake. As if I'm a race horse in my prime that's been prohibited to run any races-just sit on the sidelines and watch the old gray mares make a mess of things. How appropriate I'm surrounded by pastures....to be "put out".

So-try I will to shake the funk in the new year....which has led to at least this one resolution. I resolve to blog, more. I'm anxious to get 2010 behind me, though it did lead to a few good things which would be wrong if I didn't acknowledge them:

We moved to this great farm "Sycamore Hill"
God continued to bless with new work &
the Historic Michigan Road State Byway nomination was officially submitted last week.

Those were the highlights. 2011 looks very promising as the state should officially adopt the byway, we plan to finish interior work on the farmhouse, and contracts for 2011 already equal half of the contracts I received for 2010. We have SIX weddings in 2011. Does that seem crazy?

Another thing I plan to do in 2011 is to go back to a few things I was passionate about 20 years ago, and reframe some of my thinking around those and develop those as a way to move forward. They were things that were valuable outlets for me that I put aside when my focus became "outward". And as wrong as this may sound, I'd kinda like to do some things for myself for a change.

Sorry if this post seems rambly-it's the nature of breaking through writer's block. I have a 2011 predictions list rambling around in my head that I hope to get to soon....I think that you'll enjoy it.

Incidently, from our family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving (yes it has been that long), Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

8 comments:

vanilla said...

You have been missed. Good to have you back.

"To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knows saving he that receives it."

Persevere. Happy New Year!

hoosier reborn said...

Thanks Vanilla. Been eating the manna.....but I refuse to drink the punch!

Brenda said...

I'm glad you are back,dude--I appreciate your perspective. Thanks for your honesty. I couldn't wait for 2009 to be over. May there be treasures that come forth in 2011. How 'bout them there weddin's?!?

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back on the blog. You have a great view of life to inspire others and I thank you for your friendship!!!

hoosier reborn said...

Thanks Brenda-please keep pushing me! and anon too.

Kestrel said...

Welcome back friend! You and I both can come down pretty hard on things.....lets both try to do what Old Bing Crosby sings about in "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive" google it and give it a listen

hoosier reborn said...

ok Kestrel-just remember my 2011 predictions post is all in good fun!

Anonymous said...

I think you are wise to pursue some of those passions you put away long ago. I think they'll help you find better perspective on the outward-facing things that interest you.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...