09 May 2020

Prophet Needed: Apply within the American Church


About the beginning of this year, I kept feeling prompted to read through Jeremiah-a book I've not spent much time in. I started March 16, the day before the essential-only travel and stay-at-home orders began. Unplanned, I ended reading on May 1-the day it was announced there would be a loosening. Jeremiah became my pandemic quarantine devotional.

Jeremiah has a number of passages that we often hear quoted, such as "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you" and "even a fool, when he holds his peace is counted wise" and one that is often spoken as encouragement, and is on a sign atop my desk "I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11. This brings a great deal of comfort in tough times, doesn't it? But Jeremiah's message was that God's people had turned from Him, "the fountain of living waters" and created their own cisterns "broken...that can hold no water" (Jeremiah 2:13). They turned to worship things created from their own hands, and were found with the "blood of the lives of the poor innocents" on them. In the 21st century American church, what does this look like? What are the things we now worship, and where is our guilt in innocent blood that is shed?

I can start listing the things that have become a source of "worship" by starting with what I've seen on the steps of state capitols across the country. And I can show you a video of an innocent black man who lost his life earlier this year to what has become all too acceptable. And where are our church leaders? Why is it easier for Franklin Graham to stoke angst over religious liberties being jeopardized due to COVID-19, than it is for him to speak out against murderous racism?

I had mentioned to a friend last week that I had finished reading the book and debated blogging on it. I said what America needs is a Jeremiah. America needs a prophet of that caliber. Or maybe I should be more pointed and say that the church in America needs a Jeremiah. I think that too many of our pastors and so-called spiritual leaders are part of the problem in this age. Too many have stoked the rhetoric fanning flames of anger and animosity, in the name of God. But not knowing the power of God. Too many of our Christian leaders have grasped political power, which is what had happened in Jeremiah's day, and in Christ's day. And in so doing, led the people of God away from truth.

My friend sent a message a few days ago asking if I had written my thoughts out about Jeremiah. I hadn't, but I also conceded that no one listened to Jeremiah anyway...I'd anticipate the same would be true today.  Indeed, "oh Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those sent to her" (Matthew 23:37). Those Christians leaders who have spoken out against the political charms and chains the church has been wrapped in are quickly disregarded. Those who benefit financially and with access to power only double-down on leading the church astray.

Do we need a prophet for this age? Indeed. We need someone who will speak truth to power.

No comments:

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...