07 December 2008

bread of life


what do we desire? If everything was stripped away from our gluttonous lives....what would we most desire, most need?

the Bread of Life? Because in eating of the bread, our life would be sustained.

Communion Sunday today. Because my wife is often working in the childrens ministry, I've grown somewhat accustomed to taking communion alone. I sat for a short while before I joined the line of worshippers who had formed to take the sacraments. The bread, the body of Christ & the wine, the blood of my Lord Jesus.

Take, eat of my body. And you will never be hungry again. Take, drink of this living water I offer. And you will never be thirsty again.

And God, I am so hungry for this bread. So thirsty. But how hungry, how thirsty am I really? I read a post over at Theos Project about apathy and the church. His conclusion? We have Faith overload in our culture. It is so easy, so available, that we take it when we want it, leave it when we don't. Mostly leaving it. The Theos thought was that in other cultures where the bread of life isn't so readily available, it is more highly desired.

Could this be right? Could it be that 24/7 preaching & teaching and christian worship and unlimited texts and easy internet access to faith has somehow made our faith nothing more than the convenience items picked off the rack while checking out at WalMart? The early Christ followers, did they know what it meant to be "hungry" and "thirsty" for Christ?

After taking communion this morning (well, half of communion because when I got back to my seat I realized that the little juice cup I picked up was empty, which indeed made me thirsty after the dry cracker).......after dwelling on what the bread offered-this time, not what it represented, but what it offered. Life. -I got lost in worship, in enjoying the life this morning. It felt like He was standing there, and how could I not be moved? It's been a long time since I looked at communion differently, as something other than merely the representation of the body of Christ. No, not the representation-but the beautiful life-source.

John 6:35. I am the bread of life. He who comes to me shall never hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst.

You're all I want, all I need....everything. Beautiful words......remember these the next time you take the cup, pass the wafer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Easy availability of preaching, teaching, worship, etc., makes our faith only like Walmart convenience items because that's how it's packaged. Real faith isn't packageable.

Ode to a Truck

Wednesday, I took my travel companion on its last trip, from which it didn't come home with me. I took it for a drive the day before, to...